How to use Twitter for Recruitment
Rise of social networking sites have changed the technology space completely. The latest blockbuster in this space is Twitter- a micro blogging site which enables its users to send and read messages known as tweets. It has grown up very differently from its initial purpose- updating what you are doing currently. Now people follow each other, share information and important links, have healthy discussions here. It allows you to stay connected in real-time. It is estimated that currently twitter has a user base of more then 7 Million.
From initial days networking has been an important part of recruitment. So now it is time to use social and professional networking tools like Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook to help us in recruitment process.
How social networking sites can be used for recruitment:
- Increase your network.
- Publish your jobs.
- Dig out good candidates.
- Share good info about your company and build brand.
Here I will discuss how we can use Twitter for recruitment.
1) Make an official twitter account (It’s free!!)- be it an individual, company or consulting.
2) Follow potential candidates.
3) Engage in useful conversation.
4) Share information about latest happenings about your company. It will help in brand building.
5) Post open jobs from your twitter account.
a) You can’t post the whole JD in Twitter (Remember 140 character limitation). So I suggest posting the whole JD in your website and adding its link on your twitter job post. Candidates will go to the website and post their resume there. Then you can call them and get more information.
b) Please remember- make a specific protocol for your job postings like: Java Dev, 3-5 Yrs, Bangalore(………link………..).
c) Use # tags along with important keywords, which will help candidates search it in twitter search easily like: #ITJOB Java Dev, 3-5 Yrs, Bangalore(………link………..).
d) Reply to all the responses and queries and interact with the responders.
|Ideal job posting in Twitter|
6) One of the best features of twitter is retweet. Candidates can retweet any job if they like and it will be circulated among their followers. So a good attractive job posting can attract very good responses.
7) You either use same account for corporate information and job posting purpose or you can have a separate account for job postings.
|Job Search result in Twitter|
There has been many discussions regarding the effectiveness of recruitment related efforts in twitter. Some feel these mediums are over hyped and don’t give much result. While, there is a league of recruiters who believe in social media tools for recruitment.
I believe every new source to find good candidate is helpful for recruitment process. Again the rapidly growing user base of twitter is its strong point. You just can't ignore it anymore. Only you need to learn how to use it suitably to help your recruitment needs.
Now-a-days there are many twitter-related job sites like Twitmyjobs,Tweetajob,Twitjobsearch etc who tweet jobs on behalf of you and give many customized services to job seekers and recruiters. You can try them out too.
So, enjoy recruiting through Twitter and please give me your feedback.